Sunday, May 3, 2009

apricot and white chocolate scones

I was, unfortunately, sick all this weekend. So, despite my lofty plans to try out some new Indian recipes, I was stuck in bed, watching reruns and trying to sleep as much as humanly possible...

...which worked! I woke up the next day feeling 100% be
tter, and also ready to venture out to Target and buy some basic foodstuffs (yes, I realize I just used the word "foodstuffs")...and it was scone time!

I've used this recipe several times, mostly, ironically,
while studying abroad in Jordan--for some reason, I eschewed all traditional Middle Eastern recipes and went on a baking scones/bread kick. I've made several iterations using this as a basic recipe, except always substuting the yogurt for the sour cream. I know 1) these turn out sweeter/moister than traditional scones and 2) I don't care :). I think they always turn out yummy which is the most important part. I also use a wine glass/small glass to shape the scones into small circles, rather than "wedges," which never turn out "even" for me.

My roommate Nancy in Jordan first suggested I use apricot and white chocolate, a recipe which she used to serve while working in a tea house in CA. I am greatly indebted.



Apricot and White Chocolate Scones. Adapted from Epicurious.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons grated tangerine peel

1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/4 cup yogurt
3 tablespoons fresh tangerine juice
1 large egg
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons raw sugar* (I did not have this on hand, so I used regular sugar, which adds flavor, but doesn't exactly give the same "crunch.")


Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk flour, 1/3 cup sugar, peel, baking powder, and salt in bowl to blend. Add 1/2 cup chilled butter. Using fingertips, rub in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in cranberries.

Whisk yogurt, tangerine juice, and egg in medium bowl to blend. Gradually add to flour mixture, using fork to toss until moist clumps form. Knead dough briefly on lightly floured surface until smooth. Pat dough into flat circle, about an inch thick. Cut out circles using wine glass or regular glass. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing apart. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with raw sugar.

Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made up to 1 month ahead. Cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil; freeze. Serve at room temperature.)

* Also called turbinado or demerara sugar; available at natural foods stores and most supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment